I have been running the BulkTracker web app for keeping track of pkgsrc bulk package build results since about 2015.
After running without problems since the start (!!), the BulkTracker app had its first outage in November of 2021. It turns out that the function that renders the home page returns a 500 if it gets an error from Datastore. The error that was returned was:
rpc error: code = ResourceExhausted desc = Quota exceeded.
After complaining on Twitter, I fixed the handler to return at least a degraded home page in case of Datastore errors. But why was there an error in the first place? According to the “Quotas” page on the Google Cloud Console, there are no Datastore-related quotas that can be exhausted – essentially, you can use as much as you need as long as you pay for it. I fixed the handler to return at least a degraded home page in case of Datastore errors.
But why was there an error in the first place? I filed an issue (bsiegert/BulkTracker#26) and paused ingestion for the time being.
After several days, I ended up finding a daily spending limit for App Engine. This setting is deprecated and thus kind of hidden in the UI. It turns out that the storage costs were eating almost the entire daily budget! As soon as one build was ingested in a day, the spending limit would be reached, and Cloud Datastore just fails all requests at that point. Not a good failure mode, if you ask me!
After deleting the spending limit, I watched the situation for a day, then I tentatively re-enabled ingestion of new bulk builds. It turns out that solved it! I have since deleted a bunch of old builds, so that there is not as much stored data.
Unfortunately, I never implemented automatic expiration of results, so they have been accumulating ever since. I built a small tool that deletes the detailed data for the n oldest builds in the database, and I notice it would run fairly slowly: deleting a set of 20,000 records would take about 3 minutes. This seems like a lot. The next post in this series will talk about how I made this faster.
As an App Engine application, using the App Engine datastore (a NoSQL database) was a logical choice at the time. A SQL database may have been more appropriate for the workload, as I later found out, but the pricing for Google Cloud SQL is prohibitive for a small application.
Small side note: Through my job I learned how App Engine Datastore was actually implemented, and it was horrifying.
Over the years, App Engine Datastore became first Cloud Datastore – an offering independent from App Engine that can be used with any Cloud application – then something called “Cloud Firestore in Datastore Mode”. Firestore is the Firebase NoSQL database; its API is very different from the Datastore one, but there is a shim layer that provides the Datastore API on top of it. The migration was transparent and flawlessly done by the Google Cloud folks – kudos.
Most of the space in the BulkTracker datastore is used by indices, since all queries must use an index. So in early December, before I started deleting old data, the storage contained:
- data for 8800 bulk builds
- the oldest build was from June 2015
- total size of the data itself was about 30 GiB in 165,000,000 records
- total index size was another whopping 300 GiB